My trip to Nairobi

David Housholder on April 27, 2015

The Rain After Plane Stays Mainly

Saturday, after the Delta ticketing counter searched to find I really did have a reservation (I had been dropped from the system a few days earlier and had later been restored) I was ready for the 8 hour flight to Amsterdam. There the transfer agents had to search some misconfigured records again to find I really could accompany my baggage to Nairobi. Then a walk around the shops and hallways to get in a bit of exercise and a 2 hours in advance of the flight entry through a careful security check into the soon to be packed pre-departure area (or "holding tank" as I called it) we were ready to board a KLM 747 for another 8 hour flight to Nairobi. [the photos I'd like to include here are on Twitter and Instagram at @docdeh and on my Facebook page. I just can't load them here yet]

One new realization for me on this flight is the size of the Sahara Desert. It took probably 3 hours to fly from northern edge to southern edge; it's about  the size of the continental United States.

Finally, about 8:00 pm,  the smooth flight descended into the bumps of the clouids and rain over Nairobi. We disembarked down the stairs to waiting transfer buses in a light rain. Then exited the busses at the terminal just as the downpour began. Then came the long lines for immigration; apparently lots of international flights like to land at the same time. And then lots of people getting luggage; and then lots of people with luggage trying to make their way to the exit. There was the driver to pick me up. He was waving the "Dave" sign I had been told to expect. And there between the drivere, Arthur, and me was a wall of people and luggage. people were blocked up at the exit waiting for their rides because they didn't want to stand out in the rain (makes sense). So Arthur managed to get me and my stuff outside, into the rain, then realized we couldn't get back inside because of the crush of people but that he needed to go for the car, so left me outside (doesn't make so much sense) with his umbrella. I tried to protect myself and the luggage (and from a couple of people who briefly took shelter there as well) from the rain that had let up some. Eventually Arthur came back, realizing he could not get closer and led me across the road to his parked car. Then we crawled along start, stop, start, stop, start, repeat in the line of the rest of the vehicles that had collected all those passengers and  their luiggage.

At 11;15 we drove through the gate of Pan African Christian  University, were met by Roy Campbell, a friend from many previous ICCM events, and I was into my room in  the apartment I'll share with Roy. A cup of tea followed by opening my backpack and suitcases to lay them and all their contents out to dry and finally into bed at 2 am (first tucking in moquito net).

So, yes, The Rain After Plane did Stay Mainly. It stayed on into today (Monday) and looks like it's planning to be around all week. Consider perspective: two folk who live here have told me they don't call it "rain." They call it "blessing." What do a few wet shirts and damp books and delayed travels have to compare with God's  blessing of rain cooling a hot city and providing for the needs of plants, animals, and people?

So, The Rain After Plane Stays Mainly as a Gain!